Our Chicken, Ribs, and Burger Restaurant in South Saint Paul, MN
The building where The Coop resides was built in the early 1900’s. In 1946 it was operating as a meat and grocery shop called Quality Grocery. It was owned and operated by Anton Matczynski.
Matczynski began his meat and grocery business at 149 Third Avenue South in 1915. Later he moved to Concord Street. After selling the Concord Street business to his nephews, Anton moved up the hill to the present location.
In 1956 it became a Dairy Home Grocery store. The name changed slightly in 1963 when the store became the JM Dairy Home.
In 1963, the grocery business ended and the building opened as The Coop. Brothers Stanley and Richard Gapinski took over the business in 1968 and continued The Coop tradition. The menu was limited, but The Coop legend had begun and grew to offer a variety of delicious meals, such as burger and fries or chicken and ribs.
In 2001 Bob and Karen Hanson purchased the business from Dick Gapinski. The Coop continues today, much as it did in 1963. The chicken, ribs, and burger restaurant menu has greatly expanded: offering a wide variety of tasty meals for its customers and offers catering at reasonable prices. Today Bob and Karen Hanson, along with son Joel, are proud to continue the traditions of The Coop. The Coop prides itself in being one of the oldest restaurants in South Saint Paul.